Sunday, May 3, 2015

Blue-Rhu Pie


Rose's Blue-Rhu pie is delicious!  
 The rhubarb seems to mellow out the blueberries.  The blueberries mellow out the rhubarb 
until it's a faint note in the background.

Even those in my family who don't care for blueberries like this pie. 

Rhubarb is popular in the mid west but not so much here on the west coast.  
It's finally in a few markets.
Rhubarb comes in scores of different varieties, varying from deep red to green. 
but there is only one type in my local stores.
I know one thing after making this pie;  I'm planting rhubarb!


To peel or not to peel
That is the question

The one thing I do not care for is the stringiness in rhubarb so
I chose to peel.  I hated losing all the beautiful skin.




Into the pot with fresh blueberries, lemon zest, sugar and cornstarch.
This recipe is incredibly easy.

It is so nice to actually bake one of Rose's pies with the correct ingredients.
 It thickened perfectly.


The rhubarb takes on a glorious color from the blueberries.

At this point I started suspiciously eyeing the scrumptious mixture.
I wanted more!
After a FB discussion with Faithy, I decided to make another batch
which doubled the recipe.


It filled the pie nicely and there's enough left to spoon over
ice cream when the pie is gone.  
And it's going very quickly.

Definitely getting better at mixing up Rose's cream cheese pie crust dough but
not so much with the lattice.  Not to worry, this pie crust
recipe is delicious. 

Note to self
Next time remember to chill the pie before baking
And don't try weaving lattice at midnight




Recipe available in The Baking Bible






9 comments:

  1. I like you had more filling! Looks so yummy! I wished I had made more filling. Rhubarb so expensive here, I only bought just enough to make this pie with no extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I love your midnight pie lattice weaving effort! The rhubarb I used wasn't stringy at all. In fact, I've never peeled rhubarb before. The filling had to be doubled in my pie as well but that really took no effort. I might follow your footsteps one day and actually follow a recipe. Your filling looks perfectly set and the ice-cream is just the perfect companion for your beauty of a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More filling please for me too !!! and I had no clue i supposed to peel these. although,it didn't seem to harm the texture in any way. beautiful pie you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone is with you on the increased filling--more would have been better. I love your midnight lattice! It was easier to weave this time, with fewer strips, but still confusing. I couldn't have done it at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, I find that spring rhubarb is much less stringy. It's the later rhubarb that gets really big and endures drought conditions that gets tough. That's just my experience. Anyway, you're a trooper to bake at midnight. I can't concentrate at that hour. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pie! I wanted to double the filing to have extra but we didn't buy enough rhubarb. Alas. I love that photo of the pie in the dappled sunlight; it feels very homey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never peeled rhubarb but i have to say your photo of the ribbons of rubarb peel is a work of art in itself! makes me think of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your lattice is quite charming :). Loved this pie, despite not liking rhubarb. Actually, I think the reason why we liked it so much was because of the wonderful blueberries. Funny how we're all different. If you get a chance, I'd love for you to visit my BluRhu post.

    Patricia @ ButterYum
    http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/5/7/mini-blurhu-pies

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great baking tip I'll have to remember - don't weave lattice at midnight! :)

    ReplyDelete