Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hungarian Jancsi Sorta Torta Trifle




Free bake list week + birthday= Birthday hubby's choice
After much deliberation he chose the Hungarian Jancsi Torta. 


When I received Rose's Heavenly Cakes in the mail nearly a year ago, I was relieved it didn't arrive in time to bake this cake with the HCB'ers.  The name alone sounded complicated.  I felt lucky to jump on board with the Apple Upside Down Cake. 



Amazing the difference one year can make baking from Rose's book. Mixing together the batter of roasted walnuts, chocolate, egg whites and sugar was really easy. The Janci went into the oven. I left to run an errand with directions to remove and let it cool.  



The Janci mistakenly burned during a telephone call.  When it was rescued, Hubby tried to free it from the spring form pan not realizing it was too delicate.  It was just one of those crazy chaotic days.


This was the perfect opportunity to try out my trifle theory.  The inside was salvaged then layered with apricot jam and whipped cream, following Rose's decor suggestions.    


 It turned out well after all.  Everyone enjoyed the Sorta Torta Trifle, especially the birthday boy.  

7 comments:

  1. i love the name of your cake, but when i saw your first photo i gasped a little. your macgyvered trifle looks grand! i'm glad the birthday boy enjoyed his cake after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your husband and you salvaged the broken janci and made it into yummy trifle! Looks pretty in the bowl too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great save! Happy birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you named your torta =). What a great recovery for your husband's birthday; looks just delicious!

    BTW, thank you for letting me know about my goof-up. I looked all over for a list BUT I did not think to scroll down to her previous list. After your comment, I went back and looked. Now I see it. The Bostini will be worth baking again. Hugs, Shandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your hubby!
    I love your torta sorta trifle! The pics with all the candles were nice. Great improv skills Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great save, Vicki! I'm going to remember the trifle theory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! I literally laughed out loud when I read your Sorta Torta title - you're so funny!! Great save - when all else fails, make a trifle!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete